Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) is the leading cause of dry eye disease and can cause serious, chronic eyelid problems for patients if left untreated. The TearCare® System uses the application of localized heat therapy in adult patients with blocked eyelid glands due to MGD to aid in clearing the blocked glands. TearCare® is the world’s first and only wearable therapeutic eyelid technology providing a personalized open eye experience. This treatment allows the patient’s eyes to remain open and blinking during the procedure. Soft, flexible thermal devices are placed on the outer surface of the eyelids to deliver a therapeutic level of warmth for a specific period of time in order to liquefy meibum, an oily coating which prevents tear film from evaporating. Once the blockage is softened, it can then be expressed by the clinician allowing the glands to function properly again.
The TearCare® treatment has been performed on well over 10,000 patients in the United States. Studies have showed that TearCare® is well-tolerated and an effective procedure for patients, with effects lasting from 6 to 12 months.
Many patients have decreased their dependence and frequency of use with lubricating drops. That being said, each meibomian gland is as unique as each patient, meaning the results of TearCare® can vary patient-by-patient.
The TearCare® treatment process:
- The SmartLid devices are placed on your upper and lower eyelids.
- Once the TearCare® procedure starts, you will feel warmth immediately.
- This is followed by 15 minutes of gentle heating.
- A tone will sound at the end of the heat cycle and the SmartLid® devices will be removed.
- The clinician will then instill numbing drops for your comfort and gently squeeze the lids to express the glands.